Saturday 17 January 2009

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto -- duh duh duh duh duh duuuuuuuh". I have had that song stuck in my head for three days now. I really have no clue why.

Yesterday I went to my etymology class where we covered the history of the English language as well as its hypothetical prehistoric history. I loved it! It's so nice to be in classes where I get to talk about this stuff again! (By the way, our class is doing an online word blog, where we have to make submissions for assignments. It's at http://www.wordblog2009.blogspot.com/ . This past week we had to choose a word which we like and explain why we like it. I chose "kookaburra"). After class, I came back to my room and had a rather long and dream-filled nap. I woke up with a general sense of well-being and contentment, which was nice. Beth, Sam, and I went out to Domoyaki for Supper, and I had my 'usual' (avocado rolls and grilled veggies -- soooo good!). Came back and watched the new episode of Monk (not as good as I expected) before going on duty. There was a party going in the suite across the way from mine, so I spent most of the night trying to keep a general eye on what was going on so that noone hurt themselves or died of alcohol poisoning. Also, last night was the first time that I have ever walked in on people making out on a common room couch. It was awkward, and I don't think they were even my residents, but they slept there all night (I didn't particularly care to look long enough to scrutinize and figure out whether they were or not). Also, last night I had a really strange experience. After coming back from a round, I put in my earphones and as I slipped off my pea coat, ZAP! I got a small electric shock in my ear from the earphones! It didn't really hurt, but I thought "Whoa!... That's the first time anything like that has ever happened to me in my life!". I mean, I understand the logic behind it, but I just hadn't ever thought about the possibility of getting a static electric shock through your ear! Bizarre, isn't it?
Today I slept in late, on account of having to stay up 'till 2 a.m. (kind of strange to think that some of my friends in england were probably just waking up at that point). I think watched a couple youtube vids of mr. bean before going to lunch with Sarah, Sam, and Beth. After lunch, I came back here and chatted on skype with Rachel (it was so good to hear from her!) for a bit. The rest of the afternoon was general relaxing with a little bit of knitting. Went out at around 6:30 with Sam and Beth to Walgreens (for a prescription for Beth) and Kroger (for assorted groceries and dinner). Beth and I bought a frozen spinach and mushroom pizza which was delicious and we ate it while watching an episode of John and Kate Plus Eight. Came back and had a surprising e-mail from Keon. The title said "Shocking News!", but it still wasn't the kind of 'shocking news' that I had expected. Was rather surprised, but did watch his youtube videos on the logic behind his current beliefs, which I thought were really well put together, though I may not personally share his convictions. I'll have to collect my thoughts a bit more before writing anything more about that. Was called out by a resident to listen to a washing machine (the concern was legitimate and not as silly as it sounds), but luckily nothing ended up being wrong with the unit. Got on duty and chatted with Emma for a bit. And that's all for now! Hopefully no funny business will be going on in the Houses tonight.

-- Amy

1 comment:

Rachel said...

hey! It was great to chat with you, too :) Hope that Oxford app is coming along...I saw a sparrow on my way to church on Sunday and thought of you. Love, love, love, x