Friday 12 December 2008

Took the GRE yesterday and bettered my Quantitative scores, but not my verbal. Took the rest of the day easy, because I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. So now all I have is everything due on Monday. Am starting to get a bit impatient to get home for the holidays. My favorite part of Christmas is the time leading up to it. I also love getting presents for people. You know that book that talks about the Five love languages? Well, mine is giving gifts. I don't know that I look forward to receiving the gifts as much as I enjoy giving them. For me, gifts represent thoughts of people. If I see something that makes me think of someone, I'm very tempted to buy it. Gifts also have to have meaning. I don't like getting meaningless gifts for people. Saw an interesting youtube video which talks about refocusing and making Christmas really what it was meant to be about. Spending time with people, making good memories and good relationships. Giving your time and love rather than just gifts. I like that and am going to try to do more of that this Christmas.
But this year just doesn't feel like Christmas. I don't know if it's because I've been busy with other things, but I just can't quite believe that it's coming up soon. And even though I am looking forward to going home for the holidays, I'm also not. On the one hand, I'm looking forward to seeing my sisters, mom, and dad. But my home is no longer my home. I love the house and am looking foward to getting it cleaned up and decorated for Christmas, but it's not the same as past years. My dorm room is more of my home now than the place in Haven. But I guess that it's only because I've settled down here more than I have in Haven. Hopefully this Christmas break will change that.
So I went on facebook the other day and saw that my friend Jo was online. She and I were best friends in high school and she has been living in the Denver area for years now, working with YWAM. So I chatted with her for a bit and found out that she's currently looking for a job and a little low on money. So I asked her what this meant for Christmas and she said that she'd probably just spend it with a family there in town that has kind of adopted her. I asked what she thought of coming to Kansas and she said that she didn't have a car to get there. Long story short, we found a cheap flight and figured out a way for her to come in and stay with us for around a week. Am really excited to see her again (haven't seen her in quite a few years) and am looking forward to having her around for Christmas.
In general, I am just looking forward to having a nice relaxing time back at home with family and friends. Now I just need to get through finals!

-- Amy

1 comment:

Hugh said...

:) That is lovely ! :)