Friday 15 May 2009

It has been a long time since I have posted on here. Here's why:

This past month was pretty much devoted to my thesis. This paper started out with the intention of being about 15 pages long (my professor's estimation). However, as time went on, we realized that more and more things needed to be commented on. Thus, my "15-page paper" became a lovely 40-page thesis in under a month, on a subject which I had no previous experience with (a linguistic analysis of Middle English through literature). On top of all of that, of course, I was also planning programs as an RA, helping to move people out, trying to keep up with my other three classes, and preparing to graduate. To say the least, it was quite busy.

So that is why a number of things which should have been done did not get done, including blogging and sending out graduation announcements. But it has been good and God has been good through it all. I did feel a bit like I would go insane at some points, but now I have a little bit of time to pause and reflect before continuing on. 

So... graduation. Graduation was definitely interesting. I was happy the week leading up to graduation because my sister Sarah came down the Wednesday before (after my last final) and spent some time with me getting to know my campus and my friends. Didn't really do much other than going out to eat and working on packing up. And shopping. A little bit of shopping. 
The rest of the family came down the night before (the rest meaning those expected, one aunt and uncle on my mom's side and the rest of my immediate family). They arrived and we played a card game at the hotel before calling it a night. I freaked out at a little after midnight because I was considering my graduation outfit when I realized that I didn't have a stoll (the little drape-y thing that goes around your neck). I thought for a frantic few minutes that I had forgotten to buy an important part of the graduation ensemble and called my friend Sarah and ran over to her room in my graduation robe. But we didn't have stolls for our graduation. Whew. Graduation morning was beautiful -- great skies, no rain. We had had lots of rain the week before, so our graduation ended up being indoors, in the WAC. Not cool, in my opinion, but understandable. My family got there early and had their seats well-planned, which was nice. We grads lined up in front of Ellis and paraded across campus to get to the WAC. Once we got there, we went into the gym through a line-up of our professors to our seats. The ceremony was nice, though I think the main speaker and our Provost were the only ones who spoke well at all. And, ta-da!, I graduated cum laude. 

This Fall, I am hoping to be attending a certain fabulous school (those who know me should know the identity of it).  I have been accepted, of course, but now I need to figure out how to pay for the first year (no funding for my studies 'til the second year). So we'll see how it goes. I'm now visiting my sister Sarah, who is trying desperately to keep me from getting into a "Graduated Undergrad Funk". To tell the truth, right now I'm just exhausted and want to lie around on a couch for a few days doing nothing. But, it is good to have people to do stuff with, so I'm thankful to her for her efforts. Will write more later. 

-- Amy

No comments: